The Good Neighbors

March 01, 2009


Tad bit off the "silents and talkies" subject, but.....

This is my little tribute to The Good Neighbors, which is now one of my all-time favorite tv shows. It's available for instant watch on Netflix if you aren't familiar with it (or want to revisit it over and over and over).

It's a British comedy about a couple who chuck everything to become self sufficient, raising chickens and pigs in their suburban backyard, growing leeks on the front lawn. It's absolutely hilarious and so much fun!

I really think that if you like classic movies it isn't a big leap to British comedies. They have a lot of the same elements that make old films great; the great dialogue, the British accent that adds an air of sophistication, and killer comedic timing. In my humble opinion, The Good Neighbors is one of the best examples of the Brit Com at its best.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so right, Kate. British comedy is pretty much the only medium left that has the flavor of classic film. I'm a big fan of Are You Being Served? and Keeping Up Appearances, myself.

I'm going to have to check out Good Neighbors. I've never heard of it and I hate missing out on something good. :)

Elizabeth said...

Oh I love "Good Neighbors"! It plays on my PBS station every Saturday night!

Unknown said...

casey- Oh, you have to watch it! If you already like brit coms, you'll love this one!

Elizabeth- I'm so jealous! They haven't played it on my PBS station in ages!

elena-lu said...

i love british comedies! yay!