Glenn Ford {180 tag}

May 20, 2009




Since I started blogging earlier this year, I've seen tons of awards and tags go around, about 90% of which have nothing to do with film (which seems to be the tie that binds most of our blogs) -- so I decided to start a tag myself... and this time, it has to do with film! And also, I'm really curious to see what everyones response to this will be :)

So this is the 180 tag. Name an actor, actress or director that you started out despising (or just really not liking) but ended up loving. Or vice versa, someone you started out loving and ended up despising (or just really not liking) -- and explain why.

For me? Glenn Ford.

Ever since I started liking classic films, I would turn off the tv the minute I saw him. There was just something about him that bothered me, but I couldn't put my finger on it. The mere fact that he had a career in film puzzled me-- why on earth did producers hire him? His appeal was completely beyond my comprehension.

Then in 2007 I saw The Mating of Millie. I was cleaning my bedroom, and I had been watching the film that was on before it. My room being quite a disaster area, the remote was nowhere to be found, so I just reluctantly left the tv on, trying my best to avoid eye contact with the screen when Glenn Ford was on camera. And then something strange happened... he wasn't that bad. I actually (grits teeth) liked him! I ended up sitting on my disheveled bed and watched the rest of the film, my brain tied in knots with the simultaneous thoughts of "but he's Glenn Ford" and "I hope it's on again soon since I didn't tape it!"

That night I had a dream that I lived next door to Glenn Ford, and he was the sweetest man on the planet. (Yes, I'm one of those people that is influenced by how I dream. Nice in my dreams? Must be a darling in real life!) Before I knew it, I was actually highlighting his films in Now Playing. When I missed A Stolen Life on TCM I nearly cried.

He's still not in my top five, or even my top ten, but he is somewhere on the favorites list now, as opposed to the "Gosh, I can't STAND this person" list (see: Randolph Scott & Marlon Brando, who have not budged from the list since I started it in 2000)

SOOOO.... now let's spread this around the little blogging circle. Each person tags 4 people. I tag:

Raquelle of Out of the Past
Millie of Classic Forever
Lolita of Lolita's Classics
Elizabeth of Oh by Jingo! Oh by Gee!

If you guys want to add anything to the tag, feel free :D

12 comments:

NoirGirl said...

Amazing idea, as usual Kate! If I don't get tagged with this one, I'm tagging myself because I know exactly who I'll write about. :)

I know just what you mean about Glenn Ford. Even now, I can't really take his earlier films - something about his elfish appearance just repels me I think. But, his films in the 40's like Gilda are top favorites of mine.

I agree on Randolph Scott, but Marlon Brando? How on earth can you not like Marlon Brando? Have you seen Guys and Dolls? Guys and Dolls was my turnaround on Marlon. I'll love him forever now. :)

And no, I haven't given away my 180 person here. ;)

Rachel said...

I agree with Glenn Ford. I've only seen him in 2 films, both with Rita Hayworth. I liked him in "Gilda" but didn't like him in "The Loves of Carmen".

elena-lu said...

fun! ok i will make mine out!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks! I'll go fill mine out now!

Lolita of the Classics said...

Hmm... I have to think about it for a while...

Classic Maiden said...

Great idea :) I used to feel the same about Glenn Ford, when I was a teen. I have a lot of respect for him as an actor now though.

I love Randolph Scott though too... He made some of the greatest westerns - I'm a sucker for westerns!

Anonymous said...

Cool, very cool Kate! Can I tag myself in this one?

Unknown said...

Be my guest, Graciebird! (Though I was figured if I tagged you or Millie one of you would tag the other one! lol)

DKoren said...

Neat post, and yeah, I'm sure we all have people we changed our mind on, both directions! I have to think about mine. I neither liked nor disliked Glenn Ford when I was younger, so it's not a 180 (more like a 90? LOL!), but I have since come to really like and admire his acting in the last few years.

With you on Marlon Brando... cannot stand him, mostly his voice drives me insane. But Randolph Scott... I'm with Millie. He made some really good Westerns that I can watch over and over. And don't ever visit my Live Journal page... Randolph Scott's picture is my header. Well, he's with Joel McCrea, and the picture is of the two of them from "Ride the High Country," which is my favorite Joel McCrea movie of all time, and also, not coincidentally, my favorite Randolph Scott movie. Hee.

Raquel Stecher said...

Thanks for the tag, I'm sorry I haven't written back since now.

I'm sorry to say, I don't have an actor or actress that I did a 180 on. Poo. I do have a movie though. When I watched Elia Kazan's Baby Doll (1956?)for the first time I thought it was horrible. I was mostly disturbed by the story. However I really loved the scene between Eli Wallach and Carrol Baker when Eli is seducing her. It's such an amazing scene. I literally taped over all of the movie except for that one part. The next time I saw it, I loved it and kicked myself for taping over it. Now it's one of my top favorites. I think my strong reaction to it at first was just a sign that I really loved the movie but didn't want to admit it. Like a guy who makes me angry but I can't stay away from. Those are always really exciting encounters!

I've been a sorry excuse of a tagee, so if you want to switch me out for NoirGirl, please do as she was probably a better choice.

Unknown said...

Thanks Raquelle-- but I think I'll just let the tag go to tag heaven for now, since it didn't seem to catch on. I thought it seemed so fun though :(

I've actually never seen Baby Doll.. I'll have to go rent it now! :)

Ginger Ingenue said...

Aw, I love your sketch of Glenn Ford! I think he's the sweetest, most lovely-looking man. :)

I never did a 180 on him; I loved him right from the start, when I first saw him in 3:10 TO YUMA. He's perfect in that one!

I'm glad you like him now. :)

...

If I had been tagged, my 180 person would be Henry Fonda, as I recently blabbered about over at dKoren's blog.

I'm gonna have to check out this LiveJournal of hers, though...Randolph Scott in the header?! ;)

Yikes...