Michaela from Love Letters to Old Hollywood nominated me for a Liebster Award (thank you Michaela!!) It's been so long since I did one of these, probably not since I started blogging in 2009, so I'm really excited about it! To participate you have to answer 11 questions, share 11 facts about yourself, nominate up to 11 other bloggers and come up with your own 11 questions for them to answer. Here are my answers to Michaela's questions --
1. Who is your second favorite actor/actress, and why?
Gah! It's so easy to answer first favorite but SECOND favorite is tough! Right now I'm really hooked on Monica Vitti. I think she's mostly known for her dramatic roles (like in L'Eclisse and L'Avventura) but I think she's hilarious in comedies. She has a real gift for reaction faces and her inflection (even when she's speaking in a language I can't understand) is always so wry and playful. My second favorite actor is probably Gary Cooper. I love him so much that it's almost become a running joke in my family now that whenever we're watching a movie from the 30's or 40's my parents will say "This movie would be so much better if Gary Cooper were the star." because I've said that SO OFTEN. But seriously, think of a movie and then replace the male lead in your mind with Gary Cooper. The movie is better now, isn't it? ;)
2. Favorite on-screen duo?
I'm going to be super cliche and go with Fred and Ginger. A runner-up would be Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews.
3. Which actor/actress/director/etc. do you wish wrote an autobiography?
Maurice Ronet. There's technically a biography on him, but a) it's not an autobiography and b) as far as I know it's only available in French. I'm
4. If you had the money, what film-related item would you buy in an instant? Memorabilia, a theater, old costumes...?
The first thing that comes to mind is Audrey Hepburn's black lace ensemble from How to Steal a Million. I'd also love to own the painting of Gene Tierney from Laura, or the painting of Rex Harrison from The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Oooh, or the painting of Barbara Stanwyck from The Two Mrs. Carrolls. YES, that one. It's one of the most startling scenes in the movie so I don't want to post a picture here and spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen the film yet, but this is the painting I'm talking about. I might actually need to paint my own version of that for myself because I love it so much!
5. What is your personal favorite flick from 1939?
Dark Victory, with Bachelor Mother being a close second.
6. Splashy 1950's musicals or gritty 1940's films noir?
Gritty 40's film noir, all the way!
7. Is there a director you wish got more attention, during their time and/or today?
You know, I don't think there is a director living or dead more under-appreciated than Alfred Hitchcock. lol j/k. I think William Wellman should be more known today. He was so incredibly versatile. I usually associate him with socially conscious pre-codes like Heroes for Sale, but he's also the guy behind The Ox-Bow Incident and Lady of Burlesque and Nothing Sacred. The man could do comedy, drama, western, basically anything, and do it well.
8. Who do you think was Fred Astaire's best partner?
9. If you were allowed only one movie-related book, what would it be?
This is a tough one! I think I'd have to go with The Cats in Our Lives by James Mason and his wife Pamela Kellino. It's such a unique book, with illustrations by James Mason. I received a copy for my birthday a few years ago and it's one of my prized possessions.
10. Favorite Disney film? (I'll include Pixar.)
101 Dalmatians, with Pixar's Up being a very, very close second. I also really love Big Hero 6 and I could see that squeezing into my top tier of Disney favorites as the years go by.
11. Is there a movie you're ashamed to admit you hate/love?
A movie that I'm ashamed to admit I love... hmm... I've already unabashedly flaunted my love for She's All That on this blog before so it's not easy to come up with something even more embarrassing than that! lol :)
I'm going to pass on the 11 facts about me because tbh I've shared way too much about myself on the internet already. For my nominees I'm going with my classic movie blogging besties who don't blog nearly enough nowadays. Maybe this will force them into doing a new post (muahahahahaha!!)
Nicole from Vintage Film Nerd
Millie from Classic Forever
Casey from Noir Girl
Sarah from The Wicker Bar
And my 11 questions for them are as follows:
1. If you were stuck on a desert island with one actor, who would you pick?
2. If you were stuck on a desert island with one actress, who would you pick? (Note - this is not necessarily your favorite actor/actress, but someone you'd want to spend months, years, possibly the rest of your life eating coconuts and building sandcastles with)
3. If you were stuck on a desert island and could only watch one movie on repeat for the rest of your life, which would you pick?
4. If you were stuck on a desert island with any movie character, who would you pick?
5. If you could watch a movie with any two actors/actresses stuck on a desert island together, who would you pick? If you've got some free time, elaborate a bit on the plot!
6. Who is the last actor you would ever want to be stuck on a desert island with (cough, Tyrone Power, cough)?
7. You're stuck on a desert island with Edmund O'Brien. What actor shows up in a giant pirate ship to whisk you away to safety and/or a life of adventure on the high seas?
8. If you were stuck on a desert island with a movie cook, who would you choose -- Felix from Christmas in Connecticut or Mildred from Mildred Pierce? Who would make the most out of all the coconuts and tree bark?
9. If you were stuck on a desert island with me, what movie would you force me to watch? I can't get away! I can't escape! I HAVE TO WATCH IT!
10. You're on a life raft with Herbert Marshall, Joel McCrea and Laraine Day but your weight is sinking the raft. Do you: a) sacrifice yourself to save these three amazing actors or b) push one of them into the water. If you chose b, who did you push and why?!
11.If you could choose any movie animal to be stuck on an island with, who would you pick? Some ideas -- Asta, Lassie, Pongo, Perdita, The Pie, Cat (from Breakfast at Tiffany's)